Wednesday, February 06, 2008

ME AND MIKE HUCKABEE

Your missionary to Capitol Hill, Washington, DC, Rob Schenck, reporting:

By now I hope you've seen my video blog on the results of Super Tuesday. I'm still processing the information and prayerfully working through it. It's not easy. I'm usually an optimist, but not on this one!

Related: I just got off a call with a reporter who asked me if I am "against Mike Huckabee." I made it quite plain that I am not. I have met Mike Huckabee and I believe he is a fine Christian brother and able politician. He is most certainly a worthy opponent for anyone in the race. What I did explain is that his current trajectory is only helping John McCain to surge ahead--and that is seriously problematic for Christians and other moral and social conservatives.

The main reason I am "against" McCain is because he has no credibility on judges and justices. As I've pointed out before, he's the author of McCain-Feingold, a brazen violation of First Amendment rights. A sitting president couldn't possibly risk appointing judges that would deem the law that bears his name to be unconstitutional. Sadly, the only judges that will uphold McCain-Feingold will also be pro-abortion, pro-gay marriage and against the public acknowledgment of God.

Anyone who doubts my assessment of McCain's judicial picks need only look to the presence of former New Hampshire senator Warren Rudman among the top McCain advisers. Rudman is the guy who is singularly responsible for the extremely liberal David Souter being on the Supreme Court. (Rudman convinced President George H.W. Bush to nominate his fellow New Hampshirite.)

Of course, there's a whole lot more that does not commend McCain to Christian conservatives, but I don't need to go any further.

As you've no doubt heard, Dr. James Dobson has announced he will sit out the election rather than vote for John McCain. Many others feel the same. I heard from a venerable preacher and great Christian leader today who basically said the same thing. And it's not just Christian conservatives--look at the overall numbers: Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are drawing out voters 2-1 over their Republican competitors. Low turn-out suggests a demoralized party and a lack of enthusiasm about the prospective nominee.

No, I'm not "against Mike Huckabee." I'm against John McCain and anything that helps him win the nomination. The numbers continue to add up to a McCain surge as long as the moral conservative vote is split, as it is now.

The only thing that might place me "against Mike Huckabee," would be if he gets on board a McCain-Huckabee ticket. That would be very bad indeed, and I'd have to work against it.

Maybe four years of a Hillary or Barack presidency would be judgment enough for the choice of wicked leadership. God has done it before; let's pray He doesn't have to do it again!

More on the election to come.

Your grateful missionary to elected and appointed officials,

Rob Schenck