Friday, July 21, 2006

Passersby

Last night I stayed in my "other home," our ministry center here on Capitol Hill. This is my part-time residence. My office doubles as an apartment so I can be close to the action here in Washington when I need to be. (Cheryl and I have our principal home 40 miles west of Washington. We had to go out that far in order to afford a house!)

Staying here allows me to observe passersby at our building in a way I can't during a busy work day. I see them early in the mornings and late at night. Just last night and this morning I noted how many people approach the front of the ministry center, slow down, turn their head towards the Ten Commandments monument in the front garden, stop, pause, read, apparently think about what they've read, and then, slowly, move on. An awful lot of people read the monument!

As I watched them from my third-floor window, I thought, How many of these people would ever read God's Word--let alone the Ten Commandments--if we didn't have that monument out front?

The Word of God says of itself, that it is "quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12)

That block of granite outside our front door is one powerful instrument--digging deep into the joints and marrow of Capitol Hill!

No comments: