Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Portable Commandments!

You'll soon be able to watch or listen to an in-depth study of the Ten Commandments on your I-POD, laptop, in your car's CD player, or wherever you have a DVD, CD player or Internet connection.

I’ve just returned from five days in extraordinarily hospitable Middletown, Ohio. This hamlet, midway between Cincinnati and Dayton, is home to the even more hospitable Grace Baptist Church pastored by the Reverend Dr. Roger Green. Dr. Green is one of the most gracious ministers of the Gospel I have met in 25 years of itinerant preaching. He has a passion for missions and evangelism—my kind of guy!

I was at Grace Baptist because it’s the home congregation to two of our most stalwart supporters, Don and Gayle Wright of nearby Centreville. The Wrights have been generous donors to Faith and Action for over 10 years and are members of our Extended Missionary Team. They play a large role in our ministry to the US Supreme Court.

Besides enjoying a very warm reception to my preaching at Grace, I was able to commit the full five-day Ten Commandments seminar I conducted there to video. Over five sessions, I presented on the history, context, word studies and contemporary application of the Great Words of Sinai.

One memorable highlight was a segment under the Fifth Commandment, on honoring mother and father--and, by extension, all our elders. During that session, I invited the 92-year old pastor emeritus of the church, Dr. Howard Sears, to share his greatest words of wisdom with us. Dr. Sears still travels the country preaching, driving himself hundreds of miles each month. What pearls he provided! Wait till you hear him for yourself!

This is something I wanted to do long ago. It’s a great feeling of satisfaction to finally have it—albeit in a raw, unedited form. Please pray for us as we finalize the material.

The next step will be post editing the material to condense it to a viewable length, write a companion study guide and package it for CD and DVD. We may also release excerpts on our website.

My hope is for the finished Ten Commandments series to be our definitive piece on this central part of our mission and message. I’m very excited about this prospect!

I’ll update you as the project comes along.

No comments: